Position open for 2018 season:
Part-Time Farmer’s Market Position
We are looking for someone to sell our cheese and yogurt at farmer’s markets in Rhode Island and southern Massachusetts. If you are a friendly, outgoing person with the ability to work independently, quickly, and have a love for good food, this could be a great job for you!
- Selling our products at farmer’s markets twice a week
- Drive our van from Little Compton, RI to farmer’s markets and back
- Set up market tent, tables and signage
- Educate customers about the quality of the products, including our grazing practices and humane farm practices.
- Pack up market supplies and drop off at the farm at the end of the day
- Do sampling events from time to time, at farmer’s markets or retail stores
- This position could also include an additional day of work, approx. 6 hours one morning a week, driving our van to deliver our products to wholesale customers
- For the right person, this job could grow to include time working at the farm or in the creamery
Who we are looking for:
- A friendly and positive attitude is a must! This is primarily a customer service position.
- You will need to be able to answer questions, cut samples, wrap cheese, keep your workspace clean, make change and make jokes throughout the market.
- This position requires energy, stamina and a genuine smile. Farmer’s markets go on in all kinds of weather and you will be on your feet the whole time.
- Valid driver’s license and clean driving record are a must, experience driving large vehicles is helpful but not necessary
- You must be able to lift 50 pounds.
- Experience with professional and sanitary food preparation is also valued, as this position involves sampling and food handling.
- No experience farming or cheesemaking is required, although a passion for food and sustainable agriculture is important.
Timing and Schedule: This position will start in early May 2018 and go through late December 2018, possibly into early winter 2019 with more limited hours. The position is for 2 days a week (1 Wednesday afternoon and 1 Saturday morning), about 16 hours per week total, with the possibility of a third day of work to add up to about 22-23 hours per week. Wednesday market hours are 12 pm – 8 pm. Saturday hours are 6:30 am – 2:30 pm.
Starting salary: $14/hour
To apply, submit a brief letter of interest, a resume or description of past work, and names and contact info for two references to Laura Haverland at firstname.lastname@example.org.